Tuesday, March 6, 2012

BBQ Pulled pork

Recently my husband put in a request that I find a BBQ Pulled pork recipe to try. Said it would be something different he'd like to try. So I logged into my trusty allrecipes.com and searched it. I found a simple recipe that would be easy to try. So first I'll post the recipe and then I'll blog on how I did it.

Like I said the recipe is very simple.
1 12oz can root beer
1 2lb pork tenderloin
1 18oz bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Place root beer and tenderloin in crock pot and cook on low for 7-8hrs till the pork will pull apart with a fork.
Drain, shred the pork and mix in your BBQ sauce.

So this is how I did it, was so easy!
We have had a sick little boy here at our house so after getting the kids down for the night I went ahead and got the tenderloin and the root beer in the crock pot and just let it cook on low all night long.

The next morning when the kids and I got up I drained it and shredded the pork with a couple of forks. It was so juicy and tender!

This is what the tenderloin looked like just out of the crock pot. Yummy!

Shredding the pork with forks.

The shredding took a little time, I'd say probably about 20min and it made a ton. I did end up getting like almost a 3lb tenderloin instead of just a 2lb. I also didn't actually measure the root beer or the BBQ sauce. With the root beer I just bought a cheap brand of root beer figuring it would cook out and you wouldn't taste it. I also put some seasoning salt on the tenderloin on all sides before placing it in the crock pot.

After shredding the pork I placed it all back in the crock pot and added my favorite BBQ Sauce which I have to say is the best in the world! :)

KC Masterpiece..... Need I say more? In my mind one of the best sauces there is. But you might only be able to buy it in the Kansas City area I'm not sure if its global or not.

Finally since it was like 10am in the morning instead of serving it right away I put it on low and let it just simmer in the sauce. Again I didn't measure the sauce, I just added how much I thought it looked like it needed. Ended up being more then the 18oz though as I used more then half a 40oz bottle! I made sure I stirred it every hour or so to keep it from burning and would alternate between the warm setting and the low setting. Now it would have been perfect had we eaten dinner on time, but as it turns out our son spiked a huge fever and we rushed him to an urgent care center leaving the dinner in the crock pot for several more hours unattended. But even so it was still yummy! Just the edges touching the sides of the crock pot were a little well done. I'd say this recipe is a keeper for sure, I really liked it. Now a fair warning for those that don't like root beer (like myself) you CAN taste it a little. So you might want to make sure you use a root beer you do like. My husband said he thought I should try it with A&W root beer as it has a different taste and it would give it a little more zest. He said he could tell I used the cheap root beer. But other than that he enjoyed it!
I think we'll be serving it at our sons birthday party instead of the planned pizza. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment