Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Made from scratch pizza = YUM!

Recently I have been trying to plan our meals about 2 weeks in advanced. Like I said in an earlier blog I have been searching for new recipes to try. This was one I found on allrecipes.com and I do say I think its a keeper.

The adventure began after the kids were down for a nap, this recipe is pretty basic and easy to follow. I did everything as it said but when I got to the part about turning the dough out and kneading in more flower is where I started to get a little concerned. My concern was this, it seemed to be a very THIN dough and I was worried I hadn't done something right as it was VERY VERY sticky. No fear though, I started kneading in the extra flour like the recipe calls for and it began to thicken up. I think I used more flour then the recipe called for though.

At the end I did change up some things, I put it into a metal pizza pan and brushed the dough with melted butter with a brush. Then I cooked the dough for about 5min before adding toppings. It was a VERY thick crust and I wanted to make sure it was baked well enough. After that I took it out of the oven and put on my toppings. Hamburger and lots and lots of cheese! YUMMMM!!! Oh yeah and of course the sauce. I found I only used about half a can of sauce so it might be better to purchase the sauce in a jar instead so you can store it easier.

After adding the toppings I again brushed on extra butter around the crust and then sprinkled garlic salt on the crust. I baked the pizza till it was nice and golden and it tasted wonderful! I think next time I'll use a tad more butter and garlic salt though. It probably would have done 2 smaller pizza's better but this large pizza was still nice and thick. You could probably split it up for a nice thin crispy crust though.

The ready to bake pizza... I also used a shredded Cheddar cheese.


Here is the recipe from allrecipes.com
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jays-signature-pizza-crust/detail.aspx

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
  2. Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
  3. Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about 1 hour. Punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out. Use for your favorite pizza recipe.
  4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a pan, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it.
  5. Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.


    We ate our the pizza so fast we burned our mouths it was that yummy! I didn't even get a chance to snap a picture before we dove in. Oh well it was a nice looking pizza and twice as good! Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment